HP is known for producing best-in-class wired and wireless printers and other devices. Their printer is popular as they come with excellent features and specifications. Plus, most HP printers are compatible with both Windows and Mac devices. Additionally, if you are a Mac user, then you can easily connect the printer with the help of AirPrint. This feature allows you to perform various tasks wirelessly.
You can complete the printer Setup process on your Mac device before you do any printing job. However, many users cannot do the setup properly as they are not aware of the process or face any difficulty. Keep reading the whole content if you want to gain knowledge of HP printer setup on Mac devices.
Steps of HP Printer Setup in macOS
Before jumping into the setup process, you must make sure that your printer and Mac devices both are connected to the same network. After that, follow the steps mentioned below-
- If you are using a wired printer or a printer with no AirPrint compatibility, then use the Spotlight option to open software updates. You should make sure that your Mac device is up to date or download the update if it is necessary.
- Now, you need to connect your HP printer to the same network as your computer system. Also, you can use a direct USB connection. Now, follow the below method based on the printer device you are using.
Wi-Fi connection for printers that has a touchscreen control panel:
In this case, you have first to open the Setup, Network, or Wireless Settings menu. After that, choose the wireless setup wizard. After that, follow the instructions on the prompts to choose the network and enter the password.
Wi-Fi connection for printers without a touchscreen control panel:
First, you need to press and hold the wireless button for at least 5 seconds. Or press the button until the light starts to flash. Now, within two minutes, press and hold the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button on your router. Keep pressing the WPS button until the login process starts. Once the connection is complete, the printer's wireless light will stop flashing.
Printers with Wired (Ethernet) network connection
For the first step, connect the network cable to the printer's Ethernet port. Additionally, connect the additional cable to the access point or the router. After that, on the printer port, you will see a steady green light and an orange light blinking.
Printers with USB connections
Move to the rear side of the printer and insert the cable to the USB port. Next, connect the cable to the Mac device too. Then, if you see a prompt for downloading new software, then install it.
- Now, click on the Spotlight option and search for the Printers and Scanners option.
- If you cannot see your printer option, then select any of the options from Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax. Also, you can click on the Plus (+) sign if there is any.
- In the last step, you need to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the HP printer setup.
What if the Mac cannot find my printer?
Do as per the below steps if your Mac device is unable to find your HP printer.
- Go to the printer control panel and check for the wireless or the settings menu. Also, you can print a configuration page to check if both devices are connected to the same network.
- Click on the Network () icon on your Mac device. After that, ensure that your device is connected to the same network as the printer.
- On your Mac device, select the spotlight (search) icon and then search for Software Update and open it. Then, see if there is any update available on your device.
- Open the HP official website and go to the HP Software and Driver Downloads page. Then, search for your printer devices and then install any new firmware update available.
- Restart three of your devices: printer, router, and Mac device, and then connect them again.
- Restart your printer devices and then reconnect them to your Mac device.
How do I download HP Utility for Mac?
To download the HP utility for Mac, you have to download the app from MacUpdate. To do that, you need to open the Applications and find the HP folder in it. In the folder, the app will be located now; you can easily install the app on your device. After that, you can use the HP Utility on your Mac device.